You really don’t need to make your passionfruit daiquiri flame, but why wouldn’t you? Well, safety for a start and yes, that scorched passionfruit can slight impair the flavour, but it’s so cool, so we did it.
Anyway, flaming or otherwise, this is how I make a passionfruit daiquiri…
- 5oml passionfruit juice (we used Rubicon which is located in the ‘World Food’ aisle at Tesco. Sources tell me they have it in Asda too. Honestly, it’s a bit of a nightmare to find, but worth the hunt
- 50ml white rum (Bacardi Carta Blanca is a good choice and often on offer)
- 25ml lime juice (fresh if you can)
- 25ml 1:1 sugar syrup
- Half a passionfruit to garnish
- Wray & Nephew over proof rum for optional FIRE
- Metal tin or shaker (needs to be metal so you can tell drink is cold enough)
- Hawthorne strainer if using tins and not a shaker with filter in lid
- Fine strainer
- A good shaking action
- Something that makes fire!
- Martini glass or coupette to serve
- Chuck everything except the garnish in the shaker
- Add ice so the shaker is 1/2 – 3/4 full
- Shake it like a polaroid picture for about 10 seconds or until icy cold on the outside of the shaker
- Hawthorne and fine strain in to your glass of choice
- Pour dash of over proof rum in to half a passionfruit
- Gentle place passionfruit half on the surface of the cocktail
- Light the overproof rum
- Marvel at your creation!
Please blow out the flamin’ fruit before consumption if you value your eyebrows.
Would love to see your drinks. Post to Instagram with the hashtag #CocktailJo and I’ll keep my eyes peeled for ’em.