This absinthe cocktail is like drinking a green cloud. While the absinthe flavour is naturally the most prominent in this cocktail, with a few other ingredients and a little ice dilution it is perfectly palatable and, in fact, enjoyable.
It’s too easy to be turned off by absinthe, it’s also easy to overdo it, but seriously, if you like that aniseedy flavour, but aren’t a fan of the absinthe burn, you might like to give this absinthe cocktail a whirl!
This drink would be perfect for a Moulin Rouge or burlesque-themed party.
- 1 oz Absinthe (I know that seems like a lot, but go with it)
- 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz water (book says mineral, but I don’t have a problem with tap)
- 3/4 oz sugar syrup (though you could probably get away with a little less as I found this rather sweet)
- 1 dash Angostura aromatic bitters
- 1/2 fresh egg white (I used the egg white I bought from Muscle Food)
Shake all the ingredients together well with ice and then fine strain into a martini glass. Really give the drink a good shake because that dilution is crucial in softening the flavour and the shake creates the froth on the top.
Let me know if you try this. I think it’s pretty special.